Jul 22, 2015

on journaling // chavalah

 photo DSC_0391_zpslbw2sd0s.jpg
She may have looked normal on the outside, but once you had seen her handwriting you knew she was deliciously complicated inside.
// Jeffrey Eugenides //
 photo DSC_0380_zpsmpljl4e7.jpg
 photo DSC_0294_zpsl4hnm93f.jpg
 photo DSC_0373_zpsurolmmxu.jpg
 photo DSC_0377_zpsm22j59zz.jpg
 photo DSC_0383_zpsdu5kon0a.jpg
 photo Mia Giornalis _zps4do7ic4z.jpg
Chavalah {ha-vah-lah or chava for short} 
chava is the youngest daughter of the milkman teyve, the protagonist, in the iconic play fiddler on the roof. this summer journal's name is inspired by the character who acted out one of my favorite characters in the story + my lovely friend who played sweet chavalah's part. :) 

every night, the windows are flung open to allow the delicious night air in, and i snatch from my shelf my summer journal. i wonder if i could someday write anything as extraordinary as a melody that the crickets sing. odd to think five years ago, i couldn't quite grasp the concept of documenting one's life in a journal — and now, it would be unthinkable to slip into bed without so much as a glance at my shelf lined with them. chava is already half way full with meandering thoughts on love, life, and those little adventures that make summers so unforgettable. 
also, i'm thrilled and quite honored that some of my journalistic work + a bit on why i journal has been featured on the lovely new website that emphasizes the community in the blogger world. 
won't you be a dear and check it out? 
xx 
listening to // roo panes "home from home" + the delicious thunderstorms that have been coming through. 
postscript // what are your favorite pens? 

16 comments:

  1. Your journals are always so gorgeous and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear, for stopping by with the kind words! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Grace, this is so lovely! I always love reading your posts-- they bring me such joy, and inspire me to journal vividly and frequently. Thank you for being a beautiful person, and for blessing others with the "breathings of your heart" :)

    -Emily (aportraitofgrace.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Emily! You are such a dear. I'm glad my little ramblings have served as a bit of encouragement. xx

      Delete
  3. Grace, I could flip through and stare at your beautiful journal pages all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Michelle! If I'm ever in AR {or if you're ever in CA}, we simply must meet up over coffee or chai tea and have a journaling day! :) Thanks for stopping by, lovely. Your kind words mean so much to me. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, Grace. This is beyond lovely - how are your journals so perfectly and incandescently beautiful? Ahh congrats on the feature!! I, too, am being featured on Our Creative Life in about a week's time 😊 Hope you're having the loveliest week. Hugs from Australia! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daw, thank you, m'dear. You're a gem! Congratulations on YOUR feature! Can't wait to see it -- you always have the prettiest, loveliest pictures + words. You're quite the inspiration to me, m'dear. Thanks for the love. xx

      Delete
  5. PS Your pictures are top-notch. I like (LOVE) them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal is so gorgeous! You make me want to start one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, m'dear. I'm glad that it has served as a bit of inspiration. ;) Thanks for stopping by. xx

      Delete
  7. WOW, your journal is beautiful. My journals have always been just words, no pictures or little quotes or cute things like yours. No wonder I haven't been able to be consistent with my journal(s); they lack inspiration & I lack motivation...But now I feel rejuvenated to start making my journal more uniquely me. Thank you so much, Grace!

    (I also really like the second to last picture.)

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny! Yes, it took me a couple of tries to really get the hang of journaling - I used to keep a leather one that was lovely in itself, but I abandoned writing in it too many times to count. It wasn't until I grabbed one from an art museum that I really fell in love with it. :) Glad that my lil Chavalah could serve some inspiration. Happy crafting and thank you for the pen suggestion! ;) xx

      Delete
  8. ps: stabilo pens are my fave (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. there are no words to describe how i feel about this. you are the braveness i long to become. wonderful, darling! ♥

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i am so in love with your blog!!!!!!! following immediately. so much inspiration from this journaling post. i've tried my hand at journaling several times but it has consistently failed. i can't wait to start a new one now!!! love your design.

    ReplyDelete